11/19/09

Putting a good word in your pocket.

I have this odd habit of secretly scrawling random words on paper and carrying them in my pocket.
One word only. Never a phrase. NEVER a quote. Just a word. Sometimes happy, sometimes sad. Sometimes nonsense, sometimes insightful.
It's a powerful exercise. One word is infinitely interpretable. Even the strangest ones can have odd connections to your daily life. The trick is not to let the one word govern the tempo of your day. But to see how the tempo of your day projects onto that word.
Occasionally the connection is obvious. Most of the time, it's not.
Today for example, the dictionary dealt me a curve ball - "perihelion," which is the closest point to the Sun in a planet's orbit.
How does that jive with my life at the moment? I have no idea.
But it's fun to think about. It's fun to interpret.

No comments:

Post a Comment