6/5/09

Books: Friday Roundup

I'm still slogging through Stephen King's The Stand, which means I didn't really read anything else of note this week.
And that makes the Friday Roundup a tad pointless, doesn't it?
Ah well, no matter. I'll just fire off some lighthearted summer reading recommendations.
Hey, at least I can say I filled the space with something.

The New Space Opera, ed. Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan - Do you like space? Are you a fan of the opera? Well, then you're going to love The New Space Opera, a collection of vast interstellar epics condensed into short story and novelette form. The sequel comes out at the end of this month, so be sure to down this badboy first!

The Truth, Terry Pratchett - The 25th entry in Pratchett's beloved Discworld series, The Truth traces the story of William de Worde, accidental editor of Discworld's first newspaper. My favorite character? The recovering vampire with a suicidal fascination for flash photography.

Sphere, Michael Crichton - Sure, the movie sucked (despite casting Sam Jackson), but Crichton's Sphere is one of his all-time classics. You know the story, underwater explorers find mysterious ship. Ship does mysterious things and mysterious fallout ensues. Fun times. If I have one regret its that I saw the movie before reading the book ...

No comments:

Post a Comment