4/28/09

Video Games: Star Wars Mea Culpa on GLBT Filters

Well this is interesting. Seems the honchos over at Bioware are apologizing for their lockdown of a thread discussing homosexuality in their upcoming MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The company's original reasoning for locking the thread pretty much falls in line with what I said earlier today (trying to limit hate speech), but I'm happy they decided to re-open discussions on homosexuality on their forums. Cutting it off was just, well, stupid.

Writes Star Wars: The Old Republic community manager Sean Dahlberg:

I would like to personally apologize to "Elikal" and anyone I may have offended. My intention was not to demean anyone but simply to help promote a community that could discuss topics in a mature fashion. When I first built the word filter list, I added a variety of terms to the word filter that have been used numerous times in derogatory messaging. There were some words added to the filter that should not have been – we corrected this today.

I apologize for the confusion that this has created but I would like to be clear that there was never any intent to limit discussion. That said, I have overstepped my boundaries in my original statement and I sincerely apologize for doing so.
Kudos to Bioware for doing the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment